The Canadian Press
Posted Friday, November 4, 2022 3:25 PM EDT
Last updated Friday, November 4, 2022 at 3:31 p.m. EDT
TORONTO – Ontario is proposing to remove land from the Greenbelt, an area created to protect ecologically sensitive land from development, to build at least 50,000 new homes, while adding new land elsewhere.
Last year, Housing Minister Steve Clark said the government “will under no circumstances accept proposals to move land into the Greenbelt or to open Greenbelt land to any type of of development”.
Today, Clark is announcing a 30-day consultation on the removal of approximately 7,400 acres from the Greenbelt across 15 different areas and if this continues, landowners will need to quickly develop housing plans.
The aim is to build at least 50,000 homes on these lands in service of the government’s goal of building 1.5 million homes in 10 years.
Clark says he also proposes to add 9,400 acres to the Greenbelt elsewhere, so taking into account the land that would be removed, the Greenbelt would increase by 2,000 acres.
Ontario created the Greenbelt in 2005 to protect agricultural and ecologically sensitive land in the Greater Golden Horseshoe from development.
This report from The Canadian Press was first published on November 4, 2022.